Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A month as a staff at Kalikalos

The past month I have been a staff member at Kalikalos in Kissos and it has been a fantastic experience.  Not only is the place wonderful, situated in the Pilion with warm weather and clear blue local beaches, it also has a lovely atmosphere created by the constantly shifting groups of people and the community feeling that it creates.  Within the community there is a sense of learning, understanding and achievement in overcoming the obstacles that arise when people come together.  We spend some quality time working, doing various jobs such as preparing meals, cleaning and gardening, both staff and guests and it definitely has broaden my understanding on working as an individual and as member of a group often on the same task.  


The past 3 weeks have been dedicated to the family experience workshops and the atmosphere has been very different having all the children around.  It has been a great experience, full of fun activities such as Kalikalos talent show, a puppet show and trips to the beach.  


The work has been relaxed and each member of staff can up to an extent work what suits them and it never feels forced which results in a great working atmosphere and a more positive will to work.  The community is also very understanding and there has been a sense of team work between staff and guests, for example the kids did some signs and instructions needed around the place as an art project.  I was also very pleased to see that when I arranged a community meeting about an issue that was very dear to me that there was a very good attendance and interest shown.


Overall the experience has been very pleasant, widened my horizon and I have learnt a lot from the few difficulties that I have faced during my stay.  Open mind and positivity is all that is needed to enjoy the stay at Kalikalos.


Tinna 

1 comment:

morleyjustin said...

It is really nice and useful source you provide. I like your article and also feel happy that I found you.
greece holidays