Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Journey to Kalikalos

Nothing quite prepares you for the Pelion that forms the southern most tip of the Balkans.  I have travelled all over Europe and experienced many of its beauty spots, the Alps, the Italian Lakes, the Amalfi Coast.  Once you have endured the plane to Athens or Thessaloniki, and the coach to Volos the adventure begins as the local bus pulls out heading to Kissos.  The journey is one of steep climbs hairpin bends and views over the sea and the mountains that surpass most of the popular tourist clichés.


You really feel that you are entering another world, another Europe, another simpler time.

I both admired and envied the bus driver, for making me feel safe on that long climb over the mountain and for having the privilege of driving everyday in such a spectacular and beautiful place.

As the bus pulled into the village of Kissos I found myself reluctant to get off, afraid of what I might miss round the next corner of that unforgettable journey.  I walked from the bus into the village square the peace tranquillity and quiet of the place wrapped itself around me like a comfort blanket.  Helped by he huge trees that stand around the village church like sentinels against the hot sun.

 I walked through the sleepy village to Kalikalos standing on the right side of the road; a large house with terraced gardens built in a traditional local style.  It was inviting and yet a little scary, as it was so far away from my normal life.

 It felt right be a bit afraid because to me this means I feel challenged a state I had not enjoyed for some years as my life rolled into a very small comfort zone that I had been reluctant to leave.  However, when your comfort zone becomes a prison and you close yourself to most possibilities you may as well curl up and die…..This journey was to mark my return to life, to challenge, to an open heart and mind, and what a spectacular way to start.

‘It is a very wise or a very stupid man who believes he knows what the future brings but one thing is for sure, he has thrust a knife into the heart of wonder’.

Tad Williams (The Dragon Bone Chair)





Blog by Louise Peverley, Kalikalos 2011


No comments: