Thursday, June 9, 2011

Living at Kalikalos

I have lived at Kalikalos now for 6 weeks and it has been a massive learning curve for me because not only have I never lived in community before I am absolutely not a vegetarian.  The people that I have meet have been a very diverse, interesting and dynamic group they have all contributed too and enhanced my life's journey in positive ways.  Some in more profound ways than others.  I have come to terms with lots of things about myself that had become massive negatives in my life.  I am now creating my own life not awaiting the approval of others.    I have watched plants and vegetables grow I have basked in the warm sunshine I have found resources within myself that I never knew existed and this has had a positive effect on my self esteem and the way I view others contribution to my life.  Living in community is not easy and constant compromise is quite difficult to deal with; it is both liberating and exasperating at the same time.  Somehow you begin to re-think your priorities and celebrate peoples diverse views, even though the odd personal victory still feels satisfying.

The people I arrived with for the work camp have all gone now but we had a fantastic time.  Opening up the cold dusty building, Clearing the weed covered grounds, planting the vegetables that will help to sustain the community through the summer and building a Yurt, a round house and a Sanctuary in the grounds.

I have learned to cook vegetarian meals that are tasty and filling, I am going to have some meat free days when I get home.

The area around Kalikalos is stunning the beaches are fabulous and this all adds to the unique qualities of this community.  I am returning in September to help to put it all to bed for the winter.  I know that everybody that passes through the community this summer will have a unique experience and will make new friends; they may also find something out about themselves.

' Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you'.
Lao Tzu


Blog post by
Louise Peverley June 2011

No comments: